Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It's recently occurred to me..

It's recently occurred to me that people build defense mechanisms the size of the great wall of China. Now, I understand that there could be various reasons for the walls that we build and some of them may even be very valid for what you've gone through. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about someone who's had something bad happen to them, so they build a natural and logical defense so as not to undergo that plight again. That's understandable. No, what I'm talking about are the people who are well aware of some kind of character flaw that they posses, and they will stop at nothing to make sure that nobody can ever say anything to them, and that they never have to answer for it.

  I guess this falls under a myriad of categories all huddled up underneath that tattered umbrella we call pride. The Bible says that a prideful man sets his heart against God, and that pride comes before the fall. C.S. Lewis calls pride the greatest of all sins. He says in Mere Christianity that pride is what made the devil, well, the devil. So look, I have a pretty decent understanding as to why pride exists and why it's such a problem in the world. And I definitely have no delusions of grandeur that I'm going to be the great detective that cracks the case and solves the problem, or even answers any substantial questions with my simple little right-brained blog.

 But if you will bare with my rambling for a second, I want to explore why this such a BIG problem among, of all people, Christians. After all, we are supposed to be the one's that have the greatest understanding of this deadly sin, and the power it has to come in between you and relationships, or what's worse, you and God.
So why is it that some of the most arrogant, defensive and prideful people I know, are Christians? I can't tell you how many times I've been cut down by a fellow brother or sister in Christ, and never been apologized to. I've been falsely accused of things, slandered, and shunned, all by people in the church.

 It seems a simple task for some people to take the position of the pharisees in Luke and thank God that we are not like that poor sinner over there. Why when we get a little spiritual do we all of the sudden forget about our own sin, and feel like we have the best advise in the world, or that we can go ahead and take Christ out of the judgement seat and plant our dirty behinds in His place? I've really had to learn over the years that the the hardest thing for a sinner to do in the world, is to admit that they are a sinner. Not in silent prayer: no we're all great at that; But to the person we've wronged.

 That makes us vulnerable. That makes us lose control. It makes us look in the mirror. God forbid we actually allow people to see us weak. To see us in a state of humility. People often confuse weakness with meekness. Weakness is being without the ability to do something. Meekness is having ample power to do something, but choosing instead to exercise humility. We have all the power in the world to accuse, to judge, to pass the buck, and to dodge responsibility all in the name of not wanting to seem weak. So try taking that " w " in the beginning of that word, and turning it upside down. Jesus didn't ask us to be "w"eek. He asked us to be "m"eek. And the meek shall inherit the earth.

8 comments:

  1. Amen brotha. There's only two people who stand before God in the judgment: the one that says to God, "thy will be done," and the one to whom God says, "thy will be done." A little more C.S. Lewis for ya. Love the blog and the post man. Keep it comin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang... turn the "w" upside down... nice! I taught about this idea last night (how we don't like to confront people when we've wronged them or have sinned) and how it's easier to come before God than "real" people. The thought that i had was this: the reason we don't or why it's harder to go to people is because we are still trying to be our own savior. If we have to tell people we aren't perfect it means, we cant save ourselves and welp, we aren't perfect! I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. G, Mere Christianity!
    Scuba, nice buddy! Agreed. And I love you back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! I myself am a recovering Pharisee and am blessed that God almost daily reminds me that I don't just sin, but I am a "sinner". There is crud in my heart that needs to be cleaned. I think that is where the problem lies. When I forget how utterly sinful I am in my heart... it is easy to look down on others. I completely forget the gospel... that I am much more sinful than I ever believed I was, But I am also much more loved than I have ever hoped. It was while we were IN OUR SIN that Christ died for us! It is so easy to just judge works and assume we understand the motives of others. I now live in a place where people are more friendly, more generous, and more moral than anywhere I have ever been. It really has been a wonderful experience living here... until the other day when I had been cleaning at home and had to run to the store. I was wearing a spaghetti strap tank top (which I usually don't wear out) For the first time since being in Utah I would smile at people and they wouldn't smile back... only the tattooed people smiled at me. It was quite an interesting experience... I guess I usually dress modest enough to fit into the culture here :) Or, maybe I just smelled bad, but I think I may have I gotten a glimpse of how about 30% of the population here feels. I guess that's why they spend so much time at Starbucks ;)
    I guess my point is that living out the gospel isn't just living a moral life. If that was the case, than Utah has more christians than just about anywhere else in the world. Being a Christian involves surrendering your life to Jesus and understanding that it was not because of your deeds that you were saved... but because of HIS! If we understand that we are powerless over our own sin, and give all the credit to the one who conquered sin and death, then it is much easier to forgive (because He forgave me) and to love the unlovely (because I didn't deserve the grace I have been given).
    I honestly praise Jesus every time I am convicted of my sinful heart (not immediately, but eventually) and it FREES me to love others. God disciplines those He loves. I am grateful that He loves me that much. If only we could always love and forgive the way He does. The world would look so much different!
    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great point Carrie. God always finds a way to let us know when there's a plank in our eye, or when we just need to be reminded of who we are in Christ. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pride gets no pleasure out of having something, only out of having more of it than the next man... It is the comparison that makes you proud: the pleasure of being above the rest. Once the element of competition has gone, pride has gone.
    (C.S. Lewis)

    Well written, sir...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Mark. And thank you. C.S always knows how to say it best.

    ReplyDelete